Monday, 15 June 2009

Springwatch - my version

Forget Springwatch - I've got it covered. Lots of bird and tadpole activity in the garden recently.

All hell broke loose the other weekend when the robins were chirping like crazy in panic. We couldn't figure out what it was at first, but eventually it looked like the baby robin had fledged, they'd gone out for a trial flight and a cat had wandered into the area. The baby robin flew away from mum and dad and ended up back in our garden, perched on the arm of the chair, looking a bit bog-eyed as if he wanted it to go quiet so that he could go to sleep. Eventually he flew off to rejoin mum and dad and things quietened down.


The tadpoles are getting bigger and bigger and have got to get their legs soon. I'm so looking forward to seeing all the froglets, but there are going to be so many of them.

Met Pete out of work on Friday and we had tea in the Botanical Gardens as it was such a lovely evening. Nice way to start the weekend. We'd got some monkey nuts in case we saw any squirrels - and boy did we.

One was a bit timid at first, but then he was back and just treated us like furniture. He walked up Pete's leg to take a nut out of his hand. Then later he sat on my leg and ate a piece of Belgian bun! After he'd gone to wipe his face on the grass, he came back and walked up my leg, onto my arm and then onto my shoulder, looking for more monkey nuts. I was a bit worried at first because you can see the claws that the squirrels have and they look like they'd slice you apart in seconds, but the one that climbed on me was so gentle you could hardly feel it. It was completely amazing and I felt so privileged to have had it happen.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're back! You see, I told you I read your blog!! I've got the link back now. I will watch the progress of your tadpoles with interest as we have a pond full of them too.... Nice to see you at Dy's make'n'take day :-)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fantastic Liz, we have lots of squirrels in the garden and laugh so much at their antics. Not sure I would dare feed one from my hand though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, every one is read and appreciated.